The Fine Print.
Genealogy is meant to be shared, and I will do so willingly. If you are connected to my family somehow, please contact me and I would be happy to collaborate with you. I have been working on my family for over a decade and feel very strongly about ensuring that the information is handled professionally and carefully. This statement is intended for my genealogy blog, but applies to my professional site as well. I am openly sharing my copyright protection to further enhance the professionalism of genealogy.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available by contacting me.
The Good and the Bad...
- Linking to this site is ok.
- The limits of Fair Use state that you can use and share what is posted here, up to 10% or 400 words, whichever is less. That is of any given page or post.
- Commercial use is prohibited, including blogs with advertisements; ancestry.com, fold3.com or other sites.
- Give credit where credit is due! You must give credit to the author for any information obtained from this site, and if you are publishing online, a link back to me. Here is a citation example you can use if you like:
- Jen Baldwin, "Article or Page Title,"Ancestral Breezes, [date the article was posted or page last modified] (www.ancestralbreezes.blogspot.com : accessed [access date]).
Send me an email, chances are I will probably share. If you need something from my site, i.e. larger image, original article, etc., again, just communicate. I certainly would not be as far in my own work if others' hadn't shared with me, and I'm a firm believer in karma. I can give as much as I can receive.
U.S. Copyright Law protects this site's content above and beyond the license by the Creative Commons.
Genealogy Facts Are Not Covered by Copyright
"Joe Smith was born 12 Sep 1922." Not covered.
"Joe Smith, born 12 Sep 1922, married Sarah Lewis in Pierce County, Washington. They had four children, one of which died in infancy, the other three survived to adulthood and all remained in Washington State. Joe's parents were born in Canada, but his birth location remains unknown." Covered.
Thank you for reading my blog. Thank you for respecting me enough to want to use my work. I appreciate your support, whether it is seen or not. For questions on any of this information, or to inquire about sharing information with me, please use the "contact me" link above. If you are interested enough in my work to want to use it, we're probably connected somehow; it would be great to hear from you.
You took the time to read this, so thanks for that too.
With much appreciation,
Much of the information here was provided to me by Tonia Kendrick, "Want to Use My Work?", Tonia's Roots, date unknown. (www.toniasroots.net: accessed 23 Feb 2012).
My thanks to Tonia for her permission and a wonderful example to follow.
[Originally posted 23 Feb 2012.]